HOME > Status of Residence / Nationality / Residence Card

Updated: February 22, 2022

Main article starts here.

Status of Residence / Nationality / Residence Card

Explains the procedures required for living in Japan.

Status of Residence

Status of Residence

The status of residence is determined by the reason for entering the country and the period of stay. Residents cannot engage in activities other than those permitted by their status of residence. General inquiries pertaining to the status of residence are to be directed to the Foreign Residents Information Center. Other concerns are to be directed to the Osaka Regional Immigration Bureau's Kobe District Immigration Office.

Re-entry Permit (Including the Special Re-entry Permit)

Residents with a status of residence other than a short-stay visa are required to obtain this permit if they are planning to return to Japan after leaving temporarily. The current status of residence will be forfeited upon leaving Japan if a re-entry permit has not been obtained.


People with dual nationalities, consisting of Japanese and another, must select one nationality based on their own preferences by the age of 22 (within two years if dual nationality is obtained after the age of 20).


Naturalization refers to a person's renunciation of citizenship in favor of becoming a Japanese national. Various conditions must be met when applying for naturalization. Contact your nearest Immigration Bureau for further details.

Hyogo Prefecture Inquiries

Kobe District Immigration Office, Osaka Regional Immigration Bureau
TEL: 078-391-6377
Location: Kobe Local Joint Government Bldg., 29 Kaigan-dori, Chuo-ku, Kobe City, Hyogo
Time: 9時00分 - 16時00分 (excluding Saturdays, Sundays, and national holidays)

Himeji Port Branch Office, Osaka Regional Immigration Bureau
TEL: 079-235-4688
Location: Himeji Port Joint Government Bldg., 294-1 Suka, Shikama-ku, Himeji City, Hyogo
Times: 9時00分 - 12時00分, 13時00分 - 16時00分 (excluding Saturdays, Sundays, and national holidays)

Residence Card / Marriage / Divorce

The procedures must be completed upon arriving in Japan and when changing addresses.

Resident Registration

Those whose status of residence is Medium- to Long-Term Resident are required to register as residents at the city hall once they have a permanent address. Notice must also be given at the city hall when changing addresses (moving-out and moving-in notifications).

Residence Card

This card represents official proof of an individual's residence. It contains the person's address, name, date of birth, and other information. A Residence Card is required when renting accommodation and when applying for a driver's license. It can also be used for registration and issuance procedures at the city hall.

My Number

The My Number system makes use of a 12-digit number to identify individuals. The Notification Card for the number must be stored safely when received. The number shown on the Notification Card can be used to apply for a My Number Card at the city hall. My Number Cards are also used for personal identification purposes.

Registration of Seal Impression

Personal seals are used in place of signatures in Japan. They include unregistered seals, which are used for simple documents, and registered seals, which are used for important documents. A seal can be registered at the city or town hall where the individual resides.

Marriage / Divorce

Notification of Marriage and Notification of Divorce* must be submitted at the city hall that holds jurisdiction over the address of any of the parties concerned. If one or both parties concerned have foreign nationality, they are advised to contact their embassy or consulate.
*A Notification of Divorce may not be accepted if both parties have foreign nationality.



公益財団法人兵庫県国際交流協会 事業推進部 外国人県民インフォメーションセンター 

〒650-0044 神戸市中央区東川崎町1丁目1番3号 神戸クリスタルタワー6階(兵庫県民総合相談センター内)

TEL: 078-382-2052

FAX: 078-382-2012

Hyogo International Association
(Information and Advisory Service Center)
6F Kobe Crystal Tower
(inside the Hyogo Prefecture Citizens' Advice Center)
1-1-3 Higashikawasaki-cho, Chuo-ku, Kobe, 650-0044
TEL: 078-382-2052
FAX: 078-382-2012


download Adobe Acrobat Reader

Some of the publications on this site are in PDF format. To view them, you will need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader. Please click the graphic link to download Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Smartphone Site