HOME > Traffic Accidents / Crime / Natural Disasters

Updated: March 16, 2023

Main article starts here.

Traffic Accidents / Crime / Natural Disasters

Provides information that is useful during accidents and natural disasters.

Traffic Accidents

When Causing a Traffic Accident

In case you caused a traffic accident, park the vehicle in a safe location, and then report it to the police (110). If any injuries requiring treatment are involved, ask somebody in the surrounding area to call an ambulance (119).

When Involved in a Traffic Accident

Even minor accidents must be reported to the police (110). They will issue a Traffic Accident Certificate that is required when seeking compensation from the person who caused the accident or their insurance company. Get hold of the name of the person who caused the accident from their driver's license, as well as their address, telephone number, and vehicle registration number.

Vehicle Insurance

All vehicle owners in Japan are required to subscribe to the Compulsory Automobile Liability Insurance. Most people also enroll in private vehicle insurance policies to cover high-cost damages.

Bicycle Insurance

This insurance covers the cost of compensation in the event of receiving or inflicting injury on others while riding a bicycle. All bicycle owners in Hyogo Prefecture are required to subscribe to bicycle insurance.

Typhoons, Earthquakes, Tsunamis, Fire

Information on natural disasters and other emergency situations is provided to residents as swiftly as possible in Hyogo Prefecture.

Hyogo Disaster Prevention Net

This system promptly distributes weather information, evacuation information, and other important information in the event of a natural disaster or other emergency situations. It provides information on disaster preparedness and emergency drills on normal days.

*Languages Supported: Japanese, English, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Vietnamese, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Thai

Hyogo Emergency Net (E-Net)

This system releases weather information, emergency information issued by all municipalities, and other important information in 12 languages (machine translation).

*Languages Supported: English, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Vietnamese, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Thai


All possible sources of fire must be checked at all times, such as when leaving home and before going to bed, to help prevent the outbreak of fire within the home. In the event of fire, shout out "Kaji da! (Fire!)" to notify people in the vicinity. Call the Fire Department (119) immediately if the fire appears to be too large for you to extinguish.


When Involved in Crime

If you are a victim of theft, violence, or any other crime, report it to the nearest police box or station as soon as you can. Call 110 in case of emergencies.

Bank Transfer Scams

The number of crimes involving people being fooled into transferring money into bank accounts by telephone or e-mail is increasing. Make sure to consult with a family member or the police if you feel uncertain or have suspicions.

Hyogo Prefecture Inquiries

Hyogo Traffic Accident Consultation Center, consultation centers at city halls and municipalities, lawyer consultations, etc.

*Language Supported: Japanese

Hyogo International Association Information and Advisory Service Center

*Languages Supported: Japanese, English, Chinese, Portuguese, Spanish, Vietnamese, Easy Japanese

*Contact in advance if an interpreter is required for the consultation.
*Language Supported: Japanese,English



公益財団法人兵庫県国際交流協会 事業推進部 外国人県民インフォメーションセンター 

〒650-0044 神戸市中央区東川崎町1丁目1番3号 神戸クリスタルタワー6階(兵庫県民総合相談センター内)

TEL: 078-382-2052

FAX: 078-382-2012

Hyogo International Association
(Information and Advisory Service Center)
6F Kobe Crystal Tower
(inside the Hyogo Prefecture Citizens' Advice Center)
1-1-3 Higashikawasaki-cho, Chuo-ku, Kobe, 650-0044
TEL: 078-382-2052
FAX: 078-382-2012


Smartphone Site